Order Number: 03-04-22-08
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
COCONINO NATIONAL FOREST
FLAGSTAFF RANGER DISTRICT
TEMPORARY AREA AND ROAD CLOSURE FOR THE TUNNEL FIRE
PROHIBITIONSPursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a) and (b), the following acts are prohibited on the roads and trails and within the area described in this Order (the “Restricted Area”) and as depicted in the attached map, hereby incorporated into this Order as Exhibit A, within the Coconino National Forest, Flagstaff Ranger District, Coconino County, Arizona.1. Going into or being upon the Restricted Area. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(e).2. Being on the road. 36 C.F.R. § 261.54(e).3. Being on the trail. 36 C.F.R. § 261.55(a).
EXEMPTIONSPursuant to 36 C.F.R. §261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from the provisions in this Order:1. Persons with a written Forest Service authorization specifically exempting them from the effect of this Order.2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, member of an organized rescue or firefighting force, in the performance of official duty.3. Residents using roads in the Restricted Area to the extent necessary to access their private property.4. Persons in performance of official duties related to critical maintenance of utility infrastructure.
RESTRICTED AREAAs depicted in Exhibit A, all National Forest System lands, roads, and trails within the boundary starting on the Coconino National Forest at the junction of Highway 89 and National Forest System Road (FR) 556, then continuing west to the junction with FR 420, then continuing west along FR 420 to National Forest System Trail (NFSTR) #146 (the Waterline Trail), then continuing north on NFSTR #146 to the junction with NFSTR #29 (Inner Basin Trail), then continuing northeast along NFSTR #29 to the junction with FR 552, then following FR 552 northeast to the junction with FR 418, then following north along FR 418 to the junction with FR 419, then following FR 419 north to the junction with FR 773, then following FR 773 northeast to the junction with FR 514, then following east along FR 514 to the junction with Highway 89, then following north to the junction with FR 150, then following northeast along FR 150 to the junction with FR 782, then following FR 782 east to the Coconino National Forest boundary at 35.467675, -111.384082, Township 24N, Range 13E, Section 13, then continuing south along the forest boundary to where it meets FR 244A, then progressing northwest along FR 244A to the junction with FR 244B, then following FR 244B southwest to the intersection with FR 244, then following FR 244 southeast to the intersection with FR 9122P, then following FR 9122Pnorthwest to the junction of FR 498, then following north along FR 498 to the intersection with FR 9123Q, then following northwest along FR 9123Q to the junction with FR 9125G, then following FR 9125G to the intersection with FR 776, then following FR 776 west to the intersection with Highway 89, then following Highway 89 south, back to the point of beginning, at the intersection of Highway 89 and FR 556. All National Forest System Roads and Trails comprising the Restricted Area boundary are closed.
PURPOSEThe purpose of this Order is to protect the public’s health and safety from unsafe conditions resulting from the Tunnel Fire.
1. This Order will be effective on April 20, 2022, at 9:00 PM, and shall remain in effect until June 20, 2022, or until rescinded, whichever comes first.
2. A map identifying the Restricted Area is attached and made part of this Order as Exhibit A. For a digital version of the Order map for the Coconino NF, go to https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/coconino/alerts-notices.
3. Any violation of the prohibitions in this Order is punishable as a Class B misdemeanor by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or byimprisonment for not more than six (6) months, or both (see 16 U.S.C. § 551, 18 U.S.C. § 3571(b)(6), 18 U.S.C. § 3581(b)(7)).
4. Further information regarding this Order may be obtained at the Coconino National Forest Supervisor’s Office in Flagstaff, Arizona, telephone number (928) 527-3600 and the Flagstaff Ranger District located in Flagstaff, Arizona, telephone number (928) 526-0866.
5. This Order supersedes any previous Orders prohibiting the same acts covered by this Order.
Done this 20th day of April, 2022.
Laura Jo WestForest SupervisorCoconino National Forest