Skip to main content

Haystack Fire

Unit Information

Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
420 Barrett St
Dillon, MT 59725

USFS Shield

Incident Contact

Public Information Line
Email: 2021.haystack.mt@firenet.gov
Phone: 406-290-3603
Hours: 0700-1900 daily

Saturday, 09OCT21 Daily Update

Haystack Fire Wildfire
News – 10/10/2021

Varying amounts of precipitation occurred over the fire area yesterday (close to 0.2" in some areas), minimizing fire activity. Fire Leadership and Crews continued patrolling and monitoring any backing or creeping of the fire in the Baker's Meadow area as well as point-source protection strategies at the heel of the fire. Firefighters kept watch over the Porcupine Gulch area and continued to rehabilitate the 5130 Rd.
 Today, Firefighters are continuing to patrol and monitor the Porcupine Gulch and Baker's Meadow area for any signs of increased fire activity as they continue rehabilitation work to repair the hand and dozer lines, roads, trails, and staging areas that were created during the incident. They will be focusing today on repairing dozer lines. This consists of replacing soil and debris, spraying for weeds, seeding these areas and creating water-runoff diversion trenches and water bars to help mitigate the after-effects of the suppression efforts used on the fire.
 Upcoming weather looks to have positive effects on the fire. The National Weather Service states this fire has some wet days ahead of it. There's a 70 percent chance of a wetting rain tonight, then there will be a break until Sunday evening. Sunday evening through early Tuesday morning there is about a 70 percent chance of 2 inches of snow or more, a 30 percent chance of 4 inches or more, and a 10 percent chance of around 6-8 inches of snow or more.