Bighorn National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
2013 Eastside 2nd St
Sheridan, WY 82801
30 miles ENE of Lovell Wyoming on the
Bighorn National Forest Fire size today: approximately 200 acres Containment: 0% Fire start date: July 17, 2021 Cause: Under investigation Resources:
49 personnel, including:
1 Heavy equipment
2 Type 1 helicopters
1 Type 3 helicopter
1 Air Attack (aerial supervision)
Temporary Flight Restriction
A Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is in effect for the fire area and has been enlarged to include Stagecoach Reservoir. Drones are hazards for our pilots and ground crews.
Remember: If You Fly, We Can’t! For details on the TFR, see https://tfr.faa.gov/
Donations are not needed
Our firefighters are well supplied with everything they need, so community donations are not necessary. Please consider donating to your local fire department or the Wildland Firefighter Foundation.
Rocky Mountain Area Type 2 Incident Management Team Blue
· At 6:00 am this morning, the type 2 Rocky Mountain Incident Management Blue Team assumed command of the Crater Ridge Fire.
· The fire is estimated to be approximately 200 acres.
· It is burning in timber interspersed with grassy meadows and bald ridges. Terrain is steep, bisected by drainages. Large-diameter fuels are the primary fuels burning and are extremely dry and receptive to fire.
· Crews are employing a full-suppression strategy.
Operational plan for today
· Today, crews will scout around the fire area, looking for opportunities to gain containment.
· Continuous fuels, steep terrain, and difficult access limit firefighters’ opportunity for direct attack.
· Two Type 1 helicopters stand ready for bucket work to cool areas of heat as-needed.
County Fire Restrictions
· Stage 1 Fire Restrictions are in effect in Sheridan County, where the fire is located. For fire restriction information in counties throughout Wyoming, see https://wsfd.wyo.gov/fire-management/fire-restrictions
National Forest Closures and Fire Restrictions
· Stage 1 Fire Restrictions are in effect on the Bighorn National Forest. There is an area closure around the fire. For current fire restrictions see https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/bighorn/alerts-notices; for closures see https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd932369.pdf.
Fire Conditions and Weather
· Weather will be sunny today, with highs in the lower 80s with southerly winds 10 to 15 miles per hour, shifting southeast and gusting to 20 miles per hour this afternoon.
· The fire will be active in the Cub Creek area and along Crater Ridge, with growth expected uphill to the south and up-drainage to the west in Cub Creek, and westward growth along Crater Ridge. To the north, crews will be alert for flare-ups that could produce spotting into Pumpkin Creek.
Fire information public hotline: 406-647-0831 Hours 8 am-8 pm
Crater Ridge Fire InciWeb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7685/