Highway 12 Road Status Resources for Travelers
Granite Pass Complex Wildfire
Announcements – 7/14/2021
How do I Check if Highway 12 open?
The weather is continuing hot and dry in the foreseeable future, and a Red Flag Warning is forecast for today, July 15. If you are traveling along Highway 12, whether east or west, always be prepared for rapidly changing fire conditions that can lead to road closures or delays.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Check road status and conditions before you go. Recheck often during your travel, and before you head up Lolo Creek or the Lochsa. Cell service is poor in both of those areas, and getting the most recent information may be challenging once you are away from cities and towns.
- Montana Department of Transportation road condition map reports incidents, road closures, construction, and more. Check it here: https://roadreport.mdt.mt.gov/travinfomobile/.
- Idaho Transportation Department road condition map: https://511.idaho.gov/.
- If you would prefer calling, dial 511 in either state to be hooked up to that state's traveler information service, and follow the prompts (this will only work for the state you are in when you call).
- You can also call us at our fire information line: 406-624-9176.
And please, if you are traveling through any fire area, follow all flaggers, signs, and directions. Slow down and use caution, turn on headlights and drive carefully in areas where smoke is reducing visibility, and keep moving unless otherwise directed. Do not stop to take photos.