Routt National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
925 Weiss Dr
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
Saturday, July 10, 2021 7:00 am
Location 6 miles east of Yampa, CO &
16 miles west of Kremmling, CO on the Routt National Forest Fire size today: 4,093 acres Containment: 50% contained Fire start date: June 20, 2021 Cause: Under investigation Resources:
271 personnel, including:
5 Heavy equipment
2 Type 1 helicopters
1 Type 3 helicopter
1 Air Attack (aerial supervision)
Temporary Flight Restriction
A Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is in effect for the fire area and has been enlarged to include Stagecoach Reservoir. Drones are hazards for our pilots and ground crews. Remember:
If You Fly, We Can’t! For details on the TFR, see https://tfr.faa.gov/
Donations are not needed
Our firefighters are well supplied with everything they need, so community donations are not necessary. Please consider donating to your local fire department or the Wildland Firefighter Foundation.
Great Basin Team 2, Type 3 Incident Management Team
· At 6:00 pm on Monday, July 5, Great Basin Team 2 (Type 3) assumed command of the Muddy Slide Fire.
· This fire is expected to be a long-duration event, and additional resources will be made available as they are needed, depending upon fire activity.
· Areas of heat were identified in the northwest corner of the fire. Firefighters have been able to work near the fire’s edge to cool hot spots in this area. Expect warmer weather for the weekend and possible increase in fire behavior.
Operational plan for today
· On the northwest edge of the fire, crews are working on extinguishing hot spots along the perimeter. Firefighters can identify areas that have the most heat with infrared data collected from multi mission aircraft patrols. Helicopters continue to drop water on the heated areas as well keeping spot fires to a minimum. An increase in medical units such as the Rapid Extraction Module have been ordered as an added safety measure for fire personnel in remote areas of the fire. The utility terrain vehicle is equipped with four qualified EMT’s, medical and lifesaving equipment, ropes and firefighting tools.
· On the south side of the fire, heavy equipment will be used to remove fuels and secure fire lines. This will provide a safe site for any potential burnout operations, should future conditions allow.
County Fire Restrictions
· Stage 2 Fire Restrictions are in effect in Routt County. For details, see https://www.co.routt.co.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=439
National Forest Road Closures and Fire Restrictions
· There is still an area closure around the fire. Stage 1 Fire Restrictions are in effect on the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests and Thunder Basin National Grassland. Fireworks are always illegal on federally- managed public lands. For current forest closure and restriction information, see https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/mbr/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5139680&width=full
Fire Conditions and Weather
• Hot and dry conditions will persist. Temperatures are expected to
Be in the mid to high 70s and relative humidity at critical
Conditions (14-19%). Periodic smoke may be visible along the perimeter
of the fire.
Fire information public hotline: 406-233-9753 Hours 8 am-8 pm
Muddy Slide Fire InciWeb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7566/