Routt National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
925 Weiss Dr
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
Muddy Slide Fire Daily Facts
Thursday, July 8, 2021 7:00 am
· At 6:00 pm on Monday, July 5, Great Basin Team 2 (Type 3) assumed command of the Muddy Slide Fire.
· This fire is expected to be a long-duration event, and additional resources will be made available as they are needed, depending upon fire activity.
· Areas of heat were identified in the northwest corner of the fire. Firefighters have been able to work near the fire’s edge to cool hot spots in this area. Expect
Operational plan for today
· On the north and west side of the fire, operations will continue to patrol and monitor status with an emphasis on locating areas of heat and conducting mop up as needed. Hot shot crews have been working direct along the north-west edge of the fire line as helicopters continue to drop water on hot areas along the north end of the fire. An increase in medical units is present for firefighter safety. With any tactical decision, firefighter protection remains our number one concern.
· On the south side of the fire, heavy equipment will be used to remove fuels and secure fire lines. This will provide a safe site for any potential burnout operations, should future conditions allow.
County Fire Restrictions
· Stage 2 Fire Restrictions are in effect in Routt County. For details, see https://www.co.routt.co.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=439
National Forest Road Closures and Fire Restrictions
There is still an area closure around the fire. Stage 1 Fire Restrictions are in effect on the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests and Thunder Basin National Grassland. Fireworks are always illegal on federally- managed public lands. For current forest closure and restriction information, see https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/mbr/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5139680&width=full
Fire Conditions and Weather
• Hot and dry conditions will persist; winds will increase after 0900
to 5-10 mph out of the west, with gusts up to 20 mph. Isolated
showers and thunderstorms are predicted in the later afternoon
which may bring gusty and erratic winds that could produce
areas of smoke.
6 miles east of Yampa, CO &
16 miles west of Kremmling, CO on the Routt National Forest
Fire size today: 4,093 acres
Containment: 50% contained
Fire start date: June 20, 2021
Cause: Under investigation
253 personnel, including:
5 Heavy equipment
2 Type 1 helicopters
1 Type 3 helicopter
1 Air Attack (aerial supervision)
Temporary Flight Restriction
A Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is in effect for the fire area and has been enlarged to include Stagecoach Reservoir. Drones are hazards for our pilots and ground crews. Remember:
If You Fly, We Can’t! For details on the TFR, see https://tfr.faa.gov/
Donations are not needed
Our firefighters are well supplied with everything they need, so community donations are not necessary. Please consider donating to your local fire department or the Wildland Firefighter Foundation.
Great Basin Team 2, Type 3 Incident Management Team
Fire information public hotline: 406-233-9753 Hours 8 am-8 pm
Muddy Slide Fire InciWeb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7566/