Angeles National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
701 N. Santa Anita Ave.
Arcadia, CA 91006
October 2, 2020
CURRENT CONDITIONS:Overnight firefighters observed minimal fire activity and no fire growth. Isolated pockets of fire are still present in the Mt. Wilson area on the northern slope and firefighting priorities are to protect the observatory and communications sites there. Smoke from this area will remain visible and may make smoke plumes more prevalent in the afternoon as heavy fuels burn. This fire behavior is to be expected and firefighters are monitoring for spotting or adverse behavior in the steep rugged terrain.Forest restoration has begun as crews repair fire containment lines made by hand crews and dozers. This restoration will include adding water bars that protect roads by reducing erosion by directing water in specific areas during rain events. In addition, we are evaluating the habitat and status of protected plant and animal species in the burn area. Firefighters will also be removing hose, trash and equipment associated with fire activity.
WEATHER Fuels are very dry and combined with low humidity create a receptive environment for fire spread. Temperatures are expected to range between 78-96 degrees based on elevation. A Heat Warning is in effect until tonight at 8pm with temperatures expected to decrease over the weekend. Predicted humidity is between 10-18%. Light diurnal winds will continue in the upper elevations but are not expected to be a threat to fire spread.
AFFECTED RESIDENTS:For assistance, LA County residents can call 211 and make an appointment at the Palmdale HighSchool Assistance Center. All forms of assistance are available here.The Red Cross Evacuation Centers at Palmdale High School and Santa Anita Park are now closed. Anyone still needing assistance can call the Disaster Distress Hotline at 800-675-5799.
• Paradise Springs – South of Big Pines Highway, east of Devil’s Punchbowl, west of LargoVista Road, and north of the forest.
• South and west of Upper Big Tujunga Canyon, east of Angeles Forest Highway, and north of Angeles Crest Highway.
• Residences along Angeles Crest Highway, between Angeles Forest Highway and Highway39.
• South of Big Pines Highway, east of Largo Vista Road, west of 263rd Street E (County line), and north of the forest.
• South of Mount Emma Road, north of Upper Big Tujunga Canyon, east of Angeles ForestHighway, and west of Pacifico Mountain.
• East Fork Areas: Julius Klein Conservation Camp 19, Camp Williams, and the RiverCommunity.
• - SR 2 between Angeles Forest Highway and a point 2.2 miles east of the junction withI210.
• - SR 2 between Angeles Forest Highway to Big Pines.
• - Angeles Forest Hwy, from Sierra Hwy to Angeles Crest Hwy.
• - All roads leading into San Gabriel Canyon.
• - Hwy 39 is closed north of Azusa (8.1 miles north of the junction with I10) to SR 2.
• - Glendora Ridge Road, from Glendora Mountain Road to Mount Baldy Road.
• - Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Rd, from Angeles Crest Hwy to Angeles Forest Hwy
• - Chaney Trail, from Alzada Rd to Millard Canyon Campground
• - Chantry Flats, Arno Drive to Forest Route 2N40
• For more road closures visit: go.usa.gov/xGptF
FOREST CLOSUREThe Angeles National Forest has extended its temporary Forest Closure Order to October 8th.The Forest is closed to all general activity, including developed campgrounds and day-use sites due to wildfire threat. Prohibition of the use of any ignition sources (campfires, gas stoves,etc.).