Sierra National Forest Closure Order
Forest Order No. 05-15-00-20-16
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a) and (b), and to provide for public safety,
the following acts are prohibited within the Sierra National Forest. This Order is effective from
October 17, 2020 through November 1, 2020.
1. Going into or being upon National Forest System lands within the Sierra National Forest
Closure Area, as shown on Exhibit A and described in Exhibit B. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(e).
2. Being on a National Forest System road within the Sierra National Forest, except those
listed in Exhibit C outside of the Sierra National Forest Closure Area.
36 C.F.R. § 261.54(e).
3. Being on a National Forest System trail within the Sierra National Forest, except those
listed in Exhibit D outside of the Sierra National Forest Closure Area.
36 C.F.R. § 261.55(a).
Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
1. Any Federal, State, or local officer or member of an organized rescue or fire
fighting force in the performance of an official duty.
2. Persons with a Forest Service Permit No. FS-7700-48 (Permit for Use of
Roads, Trails, or Areas Restricted by Regulation or Order), specifically
exempting them from this Order.
These prohibitions are in addition to the general prohibitions contained in 36 C.F.R. Part 261,
A violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an
individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or
both. 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 18 U.S.C. §§ 3559, 3571, and 3581.
Executed in Clovis, California on October 16, 2020.