Lolo National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
24 Fort Missoula Road
Missoula, MT 59804
Closure amended to include Ambrose Rock Creek Road NFSR#428 from milepost 4.30 at it's junction with Road 428-A to milepost 7.819 at Ambrose Saddle.
BITTERROOT AND LOLO NATIONAL FORESTS
Supervisor’s Order AREA, ROAD AND TRAIL CLOSURE
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. §§ 261.50(a) and 261.50 (b), the following acts are
prohibited on the National Forest System land described below, within the Missoula Ranger District
on the Lolo National Forest, Missoula and Granite Counties, Montana and the Stevensville Ranger
District on the Bitterroot National Forest, Ravalli County, Montana.
1. Going into or being upon any area which is closed for the protection of Public health or
safety. 36 C.F.R. § 261.53 (e).
2. Being on the road. 36 C.F.R. § 261.54 (e).
3. Being on the trail. 36 C.F.R. § 261.55 (a).
1. Starting in the northeast corner of the area closure in T10N, R16W, Sect. 6 at the junction
of Solomon Ridge Trail # 142 and the Welcome Creek Wilderness Boundary. Following the Wilderness
Boundary south to its junction Cinnamon Bear Creek and Rock Creek in T9N, R17W, Sect. 20. Following
Rock Creek down to its junction with the Wahlquist Ridge Trail #233 in T9N, R17W, Sect. 30.
Following and including Trail #233 northwest to the Bitterroot/Lolo National Forest Boundary in
T9N, R18W, Sect.
15. Following the Forests’ boundary south to its junction with Ambrose/Rock Creek Road #428 in T9N,
R18W, Sect. 22. Following but not including Road #428 to the west line of T9N, R18W, Sect. 22. Head
north following the west line of the Bitterroot National Forest lands in T9N, R18W, Sections 22,
15, 10 and 3 to the north line of T9N, R18W, Sect. 3. Continue to follow the west boundary of the
Bitterroot National Forest lands in T10N, R18W, Sections 34, 27, 22, 21, and 18. Then heading east
to the western line of Sect. 13 of the same T & R. Heading north, following the western section
line of Sect. 13 and the western property line of the Bitterroot National Forest lands in sections
11 and 12 in T10N, R18W to its junction with Bitterroot Divide Road #4243 in T10N, R18W, Sect 2.
Following and including Road #4243 to its junction with Welcome Mountain Road #4249 in T11N, R18W,
Sect. 35. Following and including Road #4249 east to its junction with Solomon Ridge Trail #142 in
T10N, R17W, Sect. 3. Following and including Trail #142 back to the starting point in T10N, R16W,
1. Ambrose Rock Creek Road, NFSR #428, from milepost 4.30 at its junction with Road 428-A (T9N,
R18W, Sect. 17) to milepost 7.819 at the Ambrose Saddle (T9N, R18W, Sect. 22).
2. Skyline Road, NFSR #2129, from milepost 0.00 at its junction with Roads #428 (T9N, R18W,
Sect. 22) to the end of the road (T10N, R18W, Sect. 25).
3. Bitterroot Divide Road, NFSR #4243, from milepost 9.80 at its junction with Roads 601 (T10N,
R18W, Sect. 2) to milepost 8.64 at its junction with Road 4249
(T11N, R18W, Sect. 35).
Page 2 of 2
4. Welcome Mountain Road, NFSR #4249, from milepost 0.00 at its junction with Road 4243 (T11N,
R18W, Sect. 35) to milepost the end of the road at its junction with Trail #142 (T10N, R17W, Sect.
1. Solomon Ridge Trail, NFST #142, from milepost 4.27 at its junction with road 4249 (T10N,
R17W, Sect. 3) to milepost 0.43 at its junction with Rock Creek.
2. Wahlquist Ridge Trail, NFST #233, from milepost 0.23 at its junction with Rock Creek (T9N,
R17W, Sect. 30) to in its entirety (T16N, R29W, Sect. 3).
The purpose of this order is for public health and safety due to hazardous conditions resulting
from fire activities.
Pursuant to Title 36 C.F.R § 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
1. Persons with a special use authorization or other Forest Service authorization specifically
exempting them from the effect of this order. 36 C.F.R § 261.50(e)(1).
2. Any Federal, State, or local officer or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force
in performance of an official duty. 36 C.F.R § 261.50(e)(4).
Violation of this prohibition is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or
$10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, or both (16 U.S.C. §
551 and 18 U.S.C. § 3559, 3571, and 3581).
1. This order will be in effect upon signing and will remain in effect through until rescinded.
2. Further information regarding this Order may be obtained at the Lolo National Forest
Supervisor’s Office in Missoula, MT, telephone number (406) 329-3750 or the Bitterroot National
Forest Supervisor’s Office in Hamilton, MT, telephone number (406) 363-7100.
Done at Missoula, Montana this 28 day of August, 2020.