Sequoia National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
1839 S. Newcomb St
Porterville, CA 93257
Sequoia National Forest
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Hours: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
FOREST ORDER No. 0513-20-38 USDA FOREST SERVICE PACIFIC SOUTHWEST REGION Sequoia National Forest
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. §551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a), and to protect natural resources and provide for public safety, the following acts are prohibited within the Sequoia National Forest. This Order is effective from November 7, 2020, through November 30, 2020.
1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(a).
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(d).
3. Operating an internal combustion engine off paved, gravel or dirt National Forest System roads and trails, except boats on a water surface. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(h).
4. Welding, or operating an acetylene or other torch with an open flame. 36 C.F.R. § 261.52(i).
Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. § 216.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
1. Any Federal, State or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.
2. Persons with a valid California Campfire Permit are not exempt from the prohibitions listed above. However, persons with a valid California Campfire Permit may use a portable campfire pit, stove or lantern that uses gas, kerosene, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel, with a shut-off valve, in an area at least three feet from any flammable materials.
3. Persons with a valid 2020 Forest Products Removal Permit (fuelwood permit) or a free “Fuelwood Cutting and Gathering Permission” document from the United States Forest Service are not exempt from the prohibitions listed above, but may operate an internal combustion engine off National Forest System roads and trails only to the extent necessary to cut fuelwood, provided the cutting of fuelwood is done in compliance with the terms of the permission document.
4. Persons with a Forest Service non-special use written authorization to conduct nonrecreational activities, such as harvesting timber or forest products, or grazing livestock, are exempt from Prohibition Nos. 3 and 4, to the extent allowed by the written authorization. FOREST ORDER No. 0513-20-38 USDA FOREST SERVICE PACIFIC SOUTHWEST REGION Sequoia National Forest
These prohibitions are in addition to the general prohibitions contained in 36 C.F.R. Part § 261, Subpart A. A violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both. 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 18 U.S.C. §§ 3559, 3571, and 3581.
Executed in Porterville, California, this 5th day of November 2020.
______________________________ TERESA BENSON Forest Supervisor Sequoia National Forest
This Order supersedes Order No. 0513-20-15, signed on May 28, 2020.