Tahoe National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
13120 Loma Rica Grass Valley California 95945
Nevada City, CA 95959
Current Situation: As of 6:30 p.m., no additional structures were damaged or destroyed by the fire. Thunderstorms over the fire provided some wetting rain, but also several lightning-caused starts within the fire below the fire area to the south. Outflow winds caused fire activity to pick up toward evening. There is a new EVACUATION ADVISORY for the eastern outskirts of Loyalton.
The narrow finger that run yesterday toward Dog Creek Road did hold to the south, but the wind from the thunderstorm pushed the fire to the west. Firefighters are now working to tie indirect fireline (away from the fire’s edge) south and west toward Babbitt Peak.
The northern and eastern edges of the fire held through the day.
Fire activity picked up again in the state, moving California into Planning Level 5: Potential for emerging significant wildland fires is high and expected to remain high in multiple geographic areas.
Weather: Temperatures tonight are expected to be similar to yesterday, with light winds and some precipitation predicted before sunset.
A downloadable version of this update and maps are available at https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6975.
· An evacuation advisory has been issued for the City of Loyalton and homes on the south side of Highway 49 west of Loyalton to Lombardi Point
· Mandatory Evacuation Orders remain in effect for Balls Canyon Road, Long Valley Road, and Copperfield.
· Advisory Evacuation Orders remain in effect for the areas of Cold Springs and Bordertown.
· Advisory Evacuation Orders remain in effect for the areas of Chilcoot and Vinton.
· Advisory Evacuation Orders remain in effect for the area of Hwy 49 and 70 south to Loyalton, and to the east side of Hwy 49.
· Advisory Evacuation Orders remain in effect for the area of Sierra Brooks, other than the mandatory area mentioned above.
· All Evacuation Orders in Lassen County have been lifted. Residents are allowed to return to their homes.
· Hwy 395 is currently open.
· Hwy 70 is currently open and under and advisory.
· Hwy 49 is currently open
A Forest Closure for the Dog Valley area was issued on the Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest due to the fire’s southern spread. Find the closure order at https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/6975/53327/
Closures: Highway 70 is open, but under advisory as fire activity could warrant another closure. Hwy 395 is reopened. Be advised to consider alternative travel routes. Please drive slowly with headlights on and yield to emergency personnel.