Kaibab National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
800 S. 6th St.
Williams, AZ 86046
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE FOREST SERVICE KAIBAB NATIONAL FOREST NORTH KAIBAB RANGER DISTRICT TEMPORARY CLOSURES DUE TO THE MANGUM FIRE (For Public Safety)
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a), the following acts are prohibited within the Area described in this Order, depicted on the attached Map, hereby incorporated into this Order as Exhibit A, within the within the boundaries of the North Kaibab Ranger District of the Kaibab National Forest, Coconino County, Arizona (AZ):
1. Going into or being upon the Area described. 36 C.F.R. § 261.53(e)
2. Being on a road or trail described below. 36 C.F.R. § 261.54(e)
Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
1. Persons with a written Forest Service authorization specifically exempting them from the effect of this Order.
2. Any Federal, State, or local officer or administrative personnel, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.
3. Persons using the Jacob Lake Campground, which remains open to the public. The campground is located just north of the junction of HWY 67 and HWY 89A and is surrounded by a fence that defines the approximately 107-acre open area.
4. Persons using the Le Fever Overlook pullout off of HWY 89A, northwest of Jacob Lake
NOTE: HWY 89A and HWY 67 are controlled by the Arizona Department of Transportation and are not subject to this Closure. Current information for highway restrictions can be found at https://www.az511.gov
The Area consists of all National Forest System lands and roads within the boundary beginning at Highway (HWY) 89A, near milepost 566, between Sections 34 and 35 in Township 39 N Range 3 E, and following the Kaibab National Forest’s eastern boundary north and west for approximately 25 miles, then south and west for approximately six miles to where the National Forest boundary intersects with HWY 89A between mileposts 593 and 594, then following HWY 89A east back to the point of beginning, at the eastern National Forest boundary, as depicted in Exhibit A. The following Forest Road and trail sections are closed as part of this Order:
• FR 22, from its junction with FR 422A (a.k.a. “Winter Road and “2200-100”) south approximately 9 miles to the road barrier between Mangum Camp and Big Springs at the southern boundary of Section 12 in Township 37 N, Range 1 W,
• FR 461, from its junction with FR 246 west approx. 4 miles to its junction with FR 462,
• FR 462, from its junction with FR 22 east and south approx. 10 miles to its junction with FR 212,
• FR423, from its junction with FR22 west approx. 1.5 miles to its junction with FR 642,
• FR 282F from its junction with FR 282 northwest approx. 1.5 miles to its end at Lamb Lake.
• FR 243, from its junction with FR 22 to its end at the Jacob Canyon trail.
• Jacob Canyon Trail, between FR 243 and FR 246.
The purpose of this Order is to provide for the public’s health and safety due to fire activity in the Restricted Area for the management of the Mangum Fire, and also to protect assigned personnel engaging in wildland firefighting operations.
1. This Order will be in effect beginning at 8:00 AM on July 25th, 2020, and shall remain in effect until September 18th 2020, or until rescinded, whichever comes first.
2. A map identifying the Restricted Area is attached and is made part of this Order as Exhibit A.
3. Any violation of this prohibition is punishable as a class B misdemeanor by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual, or $10,000 for an organization and/or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months or both (see 16 U.S.C. § 551, 18 U.S.C. § 3571(b)(6), 18 U.S.C. § 3581 (b)(7)).
4. Further information regarding this Order may be obtained at the North Kaibab Ranger District Office at 430 South Main Street in Fredonia, AZ, telephone number (928-643-7395), and at the Kaibab National Forest Supervisor’s Office at 800 S. 6th Street in Williams, AZ, telephone number (928-635-8200).
5. This Order supersedes any previous Orders prohibiting the same acts covered by this Order.
Done at Williams, Arizona this 24th day of July, 2020, at Williams, Arizona
HEATHER C. PROVENCIO Supervisor Kaibab National Forest
View the Mangum Fire Closure Map at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd750427.pdf
See all Alerts from Kaibab National Forest by visiting: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/kaibab/alerts-notices