Coconino National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
1824 S. Thompson St.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a), the following acts are prohibited within the area described in this Order (the "Restricted Area"), and as depicted on the attached map, hereby incorporated into this order as Exhibit A, all within the within the boundaries of the Flagstaff Ranger District of the Coconino National Forest, Coconino County, Arizona (AZ):
1. Going into or being upon the Restricted Area. 36 C.F.R. § 261.53(e) EXEMPTIONS
Pursuant to 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
1. Persons with a written Forest Service authorization specifically exempting them from the effect of this Order.
2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.
The Restricted Area includes all National Forest System lands, roads, and trails (unless otherwise indicated below) within the boundary starting at the intersection of the Arizona National Scenic Trail (# 87) and Forest Road (FR) 557 (Elden Lookout Road) (located in the northeastern quarter section of Township 22 North and Range 7 East, Section 34), then following Arizona National Scenic Trail west to the intersection with Rocky Ridge Trail (# 153), then following Rocky Ridge Trail west to the section line between Sections 33 and 34 in Township 22 North and Range 7 East, then following the section line north to the junction with FR 789 in Dry Lake Hills, then following FR 789 (Little Gnarly) in a northeasterly direction to the private land boundary in Township 22 North and Range 7 East, Section 27, then following the private land boundary in a general northeasterly direction back to the intersection with FR 789, then following FR 789 in a northerly direction to the intersection with Schultz Loop Trail (# 152A), then following in a northerly direction along Schultz Loop Trail to the intersection with FR 6353 (Climb 3), then following FR 6353 in an easterly direction to the junction with Sunset Trail (# 23), then following Sunset Trail in a southerly direction to the intersection with Elden Lookout Trail (# 23), then following Elden Lookout Trail in a westerly direction to its terminus at Elden Lookout Tower, then following south for 500 feet to the section line between
Township 21 and 22 North, then following the section line west to the intersection with Lower Oldham Trail (# 1), then following Lower Oldham Trail in a northerly direction to the intersection with the Arizona National Scenic Trail, then following the Arizona National Scenic Trail back to the point of beginning at the intersection of FR 557.
NOTE: The following trails marking the Restricted Area boundary are OPEN: Arizona National Scenic Trail (#87), Rocky Ridge Trail (#153), Schultz Loop Trail (# 152A), Sunset Trail (# 23) from the intersection of FR 6353 to Little Bear Trail (#112), Elden Lookout Trail (#23), and Lower Oldham Trail (#1).
The portions of FR 789 and FR 6353 marking the Restricted Area boundary are OPEN to non- motorized use only.
Sunset Trail is CLOSED from Little Bear Trail (#112) to Elden Lookout Trail (#23).
The purpose of this Order is to provide for the public’s health and safety due to fire activity in the Restricted Area for the management of the Museum Fire, and also to protect assigned personnel engaging in wildland firefighting operations.
1. This Order will be in effect beginning at 8:00 AM, September 28, 2019, and shall remain in effect until October 1st, 2020, or until rescinded, whichever comes first.
2. A map identifying the Restricted Area is attached and is made part of this order as Exhibit A.
3. Any violation of this prohibition is punishable as a class B misdemeanor by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual, or $10,000 for an organization and/or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months or both (see 16 U.S.C. § 551, 18 U.S.C. § 3571(b)(6), 18 U.S.C. § 3581 (b)(7)).
4. Further information regarding this Order may be obtained at the Flagstaff Ranger District Office at 5075 US-89 in Flagstaff, AZ, telephone number (928-526-0866), and at Coconino National Forest Supervisors Office at 1824 S. Thompson Dr. in Flagstaff, AZ, telephone number (928-527-3600).
5. This Order supersedes any previous Orders prohibiting the same acts covered by this Order.
Done at Flagstaff, AZ this 3rd day of October, 2019.
Laura Jo West
LAURA JO WEST
Forest Supervisor Coconino National Forest