Tonto National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
2324 E. McDowell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85006
Woodbury Fire at Eighty Percent Containment
Percent Contained: 80%
Fire Information Line: 505-399-2439 7 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Cause: Human-Caused, Under Investigation
Woodbury BAER: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6405/
Woodbury Fire containment has increased to 80 percent. Helicopters and fire crews will continue to suppress hotspots internally. Current weather conditions continue to challenge firefighters. Smoke may be seen due to pockets of vegetation burning within the fire perimeter.
Tortilla Flat businesses are still open. State Route 88 is closed from Tortilla Flat to State Highway 188 at Theodore Roosevelt Dam. Apache Lake, Apache Campgrounds, picnic sites and trailheads will remain closed until SR 88 is reopened. This closure is expected to be a long term closure beyond the 4th of July holiday. The closure will remain until the Forest Service and Arizona Department of Transportation evaluate and address all safety concerns along SR 88. Also, the forest closureencompasses more than just the fire perimeter; it extends from the southern containment lines down to Highway 60 for public safety. Hewitt Canyon/Station Road and Forest Road 172 while not directly impacted by fire, provide direct access into the burn area and are closed. Any violation of this closure is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for individuals or $10,000 for organizations, or by imprisonment for not more than six (6) months, or both.
The Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) team soil scientists are utilizing post fire satellite imagery as well as field observations from a helicopter and on the ground. They have determined that western portions of the Woodbury Fire are dominated by low and moderate soil burn severity. The amount of acres with high soil burn severity is very small and with limited small isolated pockets. Over the next 3-4 days, the BAER team will continue to validate satellite imagery and collect on the ground information in an effort to create a soil burn severity map for the Woodbury Fire. The soil burn severity map and collected data will be used to model changes in soil erosion and water flow from the burn area.
Information on how homeowners can obtain flood insurance to protect themselves from potential flooding after the fire. Additional links and information about the BAER team activities are located at Woodbury BAER Inciweb at https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6405/.
Firefighters continue to use Dr. Bejarano Elementary School and Lee Kornegay Intermediate School as the Incident Command
· Tonto National Forest is in Stage 1 Fire Restrictions and fireworks are not allowed on public lands at any time. https://bit.ly/3035WeY
· Tonto National Forest Fire Area Closure: https://bit.ly/31O2Ih4
· Tonto National Monument is closed. https://www.nps.gov/tont/index.htm
· For current Arizona Department of Transportation information visit: https://az511.gov/
· Closed Campsites: Burnt Corral, Crabtree Wash, Davis Wash, Lower Burnt Corral Shoreline Area, Three-Mile Wash, Upper Burnt Corral Shoreline Area.
· Open Lakes: Roosevelt Lake Marina & RV Park, Canyon Lake, Saguaro Lake, Bartlett Lake, Horseshoe Lake and the Lower Salt River.
· Open Campsites: Windy Hill, Grapevine, School House, Frazier, Frazier Group Site and Frazier Horse Camp