Shasta-Trinity National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
3644 Avtech Parkway Redding California 96002
Redding, CA 96002
During the evenings of May 8, May 15, May 20, May 23, May 24, and June 15, 2018 lightning moved through the area and ignited several new fires. Forest officials and firefighters are closely monitoring and responding to these reported fires.
The U.S. Forest Service is conducting aerial reconnaissance flights to determine potential growth activity of the fires and develop appropriate response activity. The reconnaissance flights are part of our normal operating plan after lightning storms.
Below we have listed each fire by the time the fire was reported, the name given to the fire, the approximate location and estimated fire size (if known) and current status. Any large fires will have a new "incident" page started in InciWeb.
May 8, 2018
1. 7:38 p.m. Cedars Fire - SW of Dubekella Mountain, .10 acreage, Fire called out at 3:27 p.m., May 11, 2018
2. 8:39 p.m. Chapman - SE of O`Brien Mountain, .10 acreage, In patrol status @ 12:07 a.m., May 9, 2018
3. 9:00 p.m. Creek Fire – SE of McCloud Bridge, .75 acreage, fire called out on June 7
May 15, 2018
4. 5:44 p.m. Den Fire - NW of Denny, single tree, in patrol status as of 9:13 p.m., May 15, 2018
May 21, 2018
5. 9:46 a.m. Schell Fire - West of I-5 and Shasta Lake near Schell Mountain. Fire was less than .01 acre in size. Fire was called out on June 13
May 23, 2018
6. 4:24 p.m. Divide Fire - located approximately a mile north of Hayfork Bally. Fire was about 0.1 acre in size, fire called out on June 7.
May 24, 2018
7. 5:12 p.m. Bobs Fire - located west of Bob's Farm. Fire was about 0.5 acres in size and was called out on May 28.
June 15, 2018
8. 6:21 p.m. Silver Fire - located approximately 3 miles east of Ruth, CA near Horse Ridge Lookout, contained at 8.1 acres
July 14, 2018
9. 6:04 p.m. Mallet Fire - located near Mallethead Rock 2 miles north of China Mountain west of Weed, 0.1 acres, fire has been declared out
July 15, 2018
10. 9:15 a.m. Zot Fire - located near Horse Peak northeast of Mt. Shasta, 0.1 acres, fire was declared out on 7/18
11. 2:12 p.m. Lakin Fire - located near Lakin east of Mt. Shasta, 0.2 acres, fire has been declared out
12. 6:41 p.m. Horse Fire - located south of Horse Peak northeast of Mt. Shasta, 0.75 acres, fire was declared out 7/18
13. 7:00p.m. Burnt Fire – located near Burnt Ranch, .14 acres, fire was declared out
July 17, 2018
14. 6:00 p.m. Dollar Fire - located in the Trinity Alps Wilderness near Five Dollar Campsite near border of the Klamath NF and Cecil Lake Trailhead, 1/2 acre in brush and snags, fire has been declared out
15. 7:29 a.m. Blue Fire – located southeast of Deadfall Lakes, .10 acres, fire has been declared out
July 18, 2018
16. 2:48 p.m. Grader Fire - located near Grader Gulch and Forest Road 26 west of Castle Crags, 0.2 acres, fire was declared out 7/20
July 23, 2018
17. 9:46 a.m. Sunflower Fire - located northeast of Sunflower Flat along Hwy 3. 0.1 acre, fire was called out 7/25
18. 7:01 p.m. Ranch Fire - located near Junction City, fire is .46 acre, fire has been declared out.
19. 3:06 p.m. Parks Fire – located east of Deadfall lakes, .10 acre, fire was declared out 7/28
No lightning fires were reported during the month of August 2018.
Forest Service personnel and aircraft continue to work with local and state fire agency representatives to investigate and report new lightning fires. Updates will be made to this incident as information becomes available.