2017-10-16: Mogollon Rim Ranger District changes prescribed burn plans
Incident: Fall 2017 Prescribed Burns Prescribed Fire
Clints Well, Arizona — The fire managers on the Mogollon Rim Ranger District are canceling the prescribed burn planned for Oct. 16, The Sawmill Burn Project, because it does not meet the prescription required for burning and have decided to burn in the East Clear Creek Project this week.
These prescribed burns are conducted in order to help protect communities from severe wildfires by reducing forest fuel accumulation in strategic areas around northern Arizona communities, and also reintroduce fire into the Ponderosa pine ecosystem to help restore ecological integrity.
All of the listed projects may not be pursued, as all prescribed burns are dependent upon weather and wind conditions, which can differ drastically across the forest. Prescribed burns are also subject to approval from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, so all or some of them could be canceled if conditions are not suitable.
MOGOLLON RIM RANGER DISTRICT
East Clear Creek Project (map)
- When: Ignitions for this project begin Tuesday (Oct. 17) morning at approximately 9 a.m. The duration of this project will be approximately two to three days, weather and fire operations dependent.
- Where: About four miles east of C.C. Cragin Reservoir.
- Size: 2,000 acres in total, broken into manageable blocks each day.
- Closures/Restrictions: None.
- Smoke Impacts: Smoke is predicted to move toward the east/northeast and may impact local communities in the Blue Ridge area and motorists on state Route 87. Cooling temperatures in the evenings may cause smoke to settle and drain down nearby canyons.
The Flagstaff Ranger district is continuing its planning on igniting the prescribed burns in the Roundup Gash Burn Project this week as well.
Notifications of upcoming prescribed burns are provided regularly by news releases throughout the season and also by the following online resources:
- Sign up to receive news releases from Coconino NF: www.fs.fed.us/news/subscription.shtml
- Coconino NF’s Inciweb page: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/unit/303/
- Coconino NF’s Twitter account: www.twitter.com/CoconinoNF
- Coconino NF public website: www.coconinonationalforest.us, (Under News and Events)
- Coconino NF’s Facebook page: www.facebook.com/coconinonf
For information on possible road closures or road restrictions associated with prescribed burns, please visit www.az511.gov.