Norse Peak American Sawmill Creek Fires Morning Update September 20, 2017
Incident: Sawmill Creek Fire Wildfire
Norse Peak Fire Update
Wednesday, September 20, 2017 – Morning Update
CONTACT: Fire Information 509-658-2475 (7:30am.-7:30p.m.)
Date Started: Aug. 11, 2017; Cause: Lightning; Acreage: 52,056 (Norse Peak), 3,853 (American), 1,061 (Saw Mill); Percent Completed: 80% (Norse Peak), 95% (American), 95% (Saw Mill).Total Personnel: 753, which includes 19 Crews, 35 Engines, 7 Helicopters, 1 Bulldozer, 5 Water Tenders.
Fire Summary: The heaviest rain is expected on the western and northern side of the fire.Norse Peak Fire is having minimal fire growth with isolated pockets of slow surface spread in heavy vegetation under forest canopy. State Route 410 is being cleared of debris and hazardous trees are being removed. Thinning, to remove hazardous trees along Forest Road 1900 is almost complete.
On this incident, 80% of the fireline will be indirect, or not directly adjacent to the fire’s edge. The remaining 20% of the fireline will be direct. The indirect lines are 100% complete and 80% of direct line has been completed.
The Incident Management Team is working closely with the Washington Department of Transportation to open State Route 410 as soon as it is safe for the firefighters and public. It is not possible to accurately predict when 410 will reopen, however any news regarding the opening of the roadway will be announced on Inciweb and Facebook at Norse Peak Fire Information.
American Fire movement will be minimal, backing downhill south in the direction of Bumping River Road and north toward the American River and State Route 410.On this incident, 75% of the fire will be lined. 95% of the indirect lines are complete.
Saw Mill Creek Fire Fireline suppression repair on dozer lines is on-going. Continued rain have kept the fire within its current footprint. Crews will continue to overhaul firelines and back haul equipment out of the area.On this incident, 95% of the 50% of indirect line is completed.
CLOSURES: State Route 410 remains closed from State Route 123 east to Bumping River Road. State Route 410 on the west side of the Cascades and Highway 123 remains open. Bumping River Road has been opened to private landowners only and Crystal Mountain Boulevard remain closed. The Pacific Crest Trail is closed from White Pass to Snoqualmie Pass. Boulder Cave Recreation Area is closed.
EVACUATIONS: No Level 3 Evacuations remain in place for the Norse Peak, American, or Sawmill Creek Fires.
PIERCE COUNTY EVACUATIONS:LEVEL 1: FS 7160 eastbound on SR 410 to Crystal Mountain Blvd, to fire danger advisory level 1. Level 1 means be alert. Be aware. Danger exists in your area. Monitor local media for information.Effective this morning, Pierce County has dropped the level 3 evacuation for Greenwater Area 4. All other awareness and evacuation levels in the Greenwater area, to include Gold Hills and Crystal Mountain Resort, have been lifted.
YAKIMA COUNTY:LEVEL 2: Goose Prairie along Bumping River Road.It is important to remember that the emergency caused by the wildfire may not be over when the smoke dissipates and the flames are out.
Okanogan-Wenatchee National Fire closures can be found at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/okawen/alerts-notices.
Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest closures can be found at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mbs/alerts-notices.
Mt. Rainier National Park updates can be found at: https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/news/fire.htm
Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife hunting/fishing information and closures, please contact at 360-902-2200.