Norse Peak Fire News Release

InciWeb - Incident Information System

[Skip to content]

Norse Peak Fire News Release

Norse Peak Fire Update, Thursday, September 21, 2017

Incident: Norse Peak Fire Wildfire
Released: 9/21/2017

Date Started: Aug. 11, 2017; Cause: Lightning; Acreage: 52,056 (Norse Peak), 3,853 (American), 1,061 (Saw Mill); Percent Completed: 80% (Norse Peak), 99% (American), 99% (Saw Mill).

Total Personnel: 366, which includes 12 Crews, 32 Engines, 2 Helicopters, 1 Bulldozer, 1 Water Tenders.

Fire Summary: Some wetting rains are still possible. Temperatures will remain below the seasonal average with a slight upward trend expected into the weekend. Minimal fire growth with isolated pockets of slow surface spread where the fire is sheltered by the forest canopy and burning in the larger dead or down trees is still possible.

Norse Peak Fire State Route 410 is being cleared of debris and hazardous trees are being removed. State Route 410 will re-open for thru traffic only at 12 noon today. Level 1 evacuations remain in place. Forest Road 1900 (Little Naches) remains closed and Forest Road 1800 (Bumping River Rd.) is open to private landowners only. Thinning, and removing hazardous trees along Forest Road 1900 is almost complete. 80% of the fireline will be indirect, or not directly adjacent to the fire’s edge. The remaining 20% of the fireline will be direct. The indirect lines are 100% complete and 80% of direct line has been completed.

American Fire Any fire movement will be minimal. With the continued cold and wet weather pattern fire activity is expected to be slow creeping and smoldering with no measurable fire spread. 75% of the fire will be lined. 95% of the indirect lines are complete.

Saw Mill Creek Fire: Continued rain have kept the fire within its current footprint. No additional firefighting, or fireline suppression repair work is anticipated in the near future.

CLOSURES: The Incident Management Team is working closely with local agencies on road and area closures. Forest Roads 1800 and 1900 will reopen as soon as it is safe for the firefighters and the public. It is not possible to accurately predict when these will reopen, however any news regarding the opening of these roads will be announced on Inciweb and Facebook at Norse Peak Fire Information.

State Route 410 will reopen to thru traffic only at 12 noon today. State Route 410 on the west side of the Cascades and Highway 123 remain open. Bumping River Road has been opened to private landowners only and Crystal Mountain Boulevard remain closed. The Pacific Crest Trail is closed from White Pass to Snoqualmie Pass. Boulder Cave Recreation Area is closed.

EVACUATIONS: No Level 3 Evacuations remain in place for the Norse Peak, American, or Sawmill Creek Fires.

PIERCE COUNTY: LEVEL 1: FS 7160 eastbound on SR 410 to Crystal Mountain Blvd, to fire danger advisory level 1. Level 1 means be alert. Be aware. Danger exists in your area. Monitor local media for information. Pierce County has dropped the level 3 evacuation for Greenwater Area 4. All other awareness and evacuation levels in the Greenwater area, to include Gold Hills and Crystal Mountain Resort, have been lifted.

YAKIMA COUNTY: LEVEL 2: Goose Prairie along Bumping River Road.

After the smoke has dissipated and flames are not visible in many locations, there are still hazards. Right now, firefighters are removing hazard trees along roads, but within the fire interior, there will be trees with root systems that are now compromised, rocks loosened because vegetation surrounding them was burned, and hollow spots just beneath the ground’s surface where roots have been burned. These hazards will persist for months after the threat from flames and smoke have passed.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Okanogan-Wenatchee National Fire closures can be found at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/okawen/alerts-notices

Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest closures can be found at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mbs/alerts-notices

Mt. Rainier National Park updates can be found at: https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/news/fire.htm

Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife hunting/fishing information and closures, please contact at 360-902-2200.

Unit Information

USFS Shield
Okanogan/Wenatchee National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
Washington
Wenatchee, WA 98801
Facebook

Incident Contact

Naches Ranger District Office
Phone: 509-653-1401
Hours: M-F 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Recent Articles

Related Incident Links

Incident Cooperators

Follow this Incident

Fire Information Websites

Share This

National Wildfire Coordinating Group U.S. Forest Service Bureau of Land Managemen Bureau of Indian Affairs Fish and Wildlife Service National Park Service National Association of State Foresters U.S. Fire Administration
Content posted to this website is for information purposes only.
version: 2.4      load time: 0.00038 sec.