Mt. Hood National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
Sandy, OR 97055
The Indian Creek Fire closure dated July 28, 2017 is still in effect.
Forest visitors are reminded that while the corridor of the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail is open in the Mark O. Hatfield Wilderness, there is a closure prohibiting people from going into a specific area around the fire including Wahtum Lake.
Why is Wahtum Lake closed when the fire is more than 2 miles away?
- When there are fires, firefighters think about not only where it is currently safe to have forest visitors, but also how challenging it would be to evacuate people from the adjacent areas if the fire grows.
Where can hikers camp and find water along the PCT in the Mark O. Hatfield Wilderness now?
- Study the closure map found on the link below to strategically plan your travel in the area.
- Wahtum Lake (PCT mile 2128) and Indian Springs (PCT mile 2125) are within the closure area.
- You can get water at Indian Springs but to camp nearby you need to go south approximately ½ mile to a site.
- Most hikers are camping at Benson Plateau (PCT mile 2136) but you need to pack water as it is a dry camp. The next nearest water is located at Tea Kettle Spring (PCT mile 2137).
Please support the firefighters by complying with the closure.
Indian Creek Fire information link: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5403