Update 2017-05-03: Burns today west of Flagstaff, south of Happy Jack
Incident: Spring 2017 Prescribed Burns Prescribed Fire
Two prescribed burns are underway today, May 3, 2017.
Flagstaff Ranger District
A-1 Mountain Project (between Bellemont and Flagstaff)
- Where: Approximately one mile west of Flagstaff, north of I-40.
- Size: 500 acres.
- Closures/Restrictions: None expected
- Smoke Impacts: Smoke is predicted to move toward the east/northeast and may be seen by motorist on I-40, Highway 180 and on the west side of Flagstaff. Smoke may settle in the areas of Bellemont, Baderville, Flagstaff and Doney Park during the cooler evening hours and the following morning hours. It is predicted to disperse by the following afternoon.
Mogollon Rim Ranger District
UBC - Jacks Canyon Project
- Where: About 15 miles directly south of Mormon Lake.
- Size: 250 acres.
- Closures/Restrictions: None.
- Smoke Impacts: Smoke is predicted to move toward the east/northeast and may impact the Discovery Channel Telescope. Smoke may be seen from Lake Mary Road and I-17. Cooling temperatures in the evenings may cause smoke to settle and drain down nearby canyons.
Notifications of upcoming prescribed burns are provided regularly throughout the season. The public can find this information online:
- Inciweb: Fall 2016 Prescribed Burns on the Coconino National Forest
- @CoconinoNF on Twitter
- Coconino National Forest: News and Events
- Coconino National Forest on Facebook
- Subscribe to Southwestern Region News: Get news releases in your inbox
For information on possible road closures or restrictions associated with prescribed burns, please visit az511.gov.