Superior National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
Duluth, MN 55808
SUPERIOR NATIONAL FOREST
LaCroix and Kawishiwi Ranger Districts Cook and Ely, MN
Order No. R9-09-16-02
Temporary Closure of the Foss Lake Fire Area (BWCAW EntryPoint,Portages, and Lakes) for public safety
Pursuant to Title 16 U.S .C. 551, Title 36 CFR 261.50(a), and 36 CFR 261.50(b), and 36 CFR 53(e), Public Health and Safety, the following acts are prohibited on portions of Superior National Forest System lands, roads, and trails. These restrictions go into effect at 8:00 am on Friday, May 20, 2016.
1. Occupancy or entry on the following portage trails, lakes, and campsites on these lakes as listed below:
a. Crab Lake BWCAW Entry Point and Portage from Bumtside Lake to Crab Lake (T63N R13W Section 18 and 19)
b. Crab, Boulder, Phantom, Battle, Sprite, Meat, Clark, Glimmer, Hassle, Saca, Little Crab, Korb, Maxine, Barefoot, Little Jig, Silaca, Coxey Pond, Lunetta, Schlamn, Soroll, Glenmore, Western, Blick, Chad, Dugout, and Pine Lakes and associated portage trails (T63N-R13, 14, 15 and T64N-13W)
c. Cummings Lake Portage from Cummings Lake to Korb Lake and Cummings Lake to Korb River (T64N-R13W Section 31 and T64N-R14W Section 35 and 36)
d. Pine Creek East of Trout Lake (T63N-R15W Section 5)
e. Pine Lake Portage from Trout Lake to Pine Lake (T63N-R15W Section 17)
2. Closure signs will be used at normal points of access to delineate the closure area. See attached closure area map (Exhibit A).
THESE EMERGENCY RESTRICTIONS ARE NECESSARY FOR THE PUBLIC'S HEALTH AND SAFETY DUE TO WILDLAND FIRES IN THE VICINITY OF THE AFFECTED LANDS, WATERS, TRAILS, PORTAGES, CANOE ROUTES, AND DEVELOPED RECREATION SITES. THESE RESTRICTIONS WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT AS LONG AS THEY ARE POSTED ON-SITE AND UNTIL RESCINDED.
THESE RESTRICTIONS ARE IN ADDITION TO THE GENERAL PROHIBITIONS FOUND AT 36 CFR 261, SUBPART A, THE GENERAL OCCUPANCY AND USE RESTRICITONS FOUND IN FOST,ORDER NOS. R909 05-02, R909-04-06.
Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
1. Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.
2. Any Federal, State or Local Law Enforcement Officer, or member .of an organized rescue or fire
fighting force in the performance of'an official duty.
3. Persons engaged in a busines·si trade, or occupation in the area, when authorized and when accompanied by a Forest Officer or official member of the Incident Command Team.
Executed in Duluth, Minnesota, this 20th day of May, 2016.
/S/ Brenda Halter
Forest Supervisor Superior National Forest
Violations of these prohibitions are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000.00 for an individual or
$10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both. [16 USC § 551, 18 USC
§§ 3559 and 3571.]