ACTUALIZACION DEL INCIDENTE DE INCENDIO DE CALDOR: SEPTIEMBRE 23,2021
CURRENT SITUATION: The Caldor Fire started at approximately 6:45PM on August 14, 2021. The fire is currently 221,161 acres in size, with 76% containment. Today’s northeast winds allowed crews to engage in a strategic firing operation between the areas of Margaret Lake and Strawberry Creek. Crews strengthened control lines in this area and two Type 1 Hot Shot Crews introduced low intensity ground fire to eliminate unburned vegetation along the Schneider Camp 4X4 Trail. The purpose of this operation is to prohibit the possible spread of uncontained fire towards Christmas Valley and Alpine County. The operation will continue into the evening, and firefighters will remain on scene overnight to eliminate remaining heat along the trail.
Hot and dry weather persisted throughout the day which drove additional flair ups within the fire’s footprint. Crews responded to several reports of smoke and heat, including one near Sierra at Tahoe Ski Area, which firefighters quickly extinguished. As these conditions persist firefighters are maintaining vigilance along control and containment lines.
Incident commanders used aerial monitoring equipment to check on a reported fire between Divisions Ida and Mike, north of the Caldor Fire. Resources were unable to locate any active burning in this area of the Desolation Wilderness but will continue monitoring the area.
ONLINE COMMUNITY MEETING: Daily at 5:00 Pm
UPDATE: MORNING SEPTERMBER 23,2021
LOCAL AREA ASSISTANCE: www.edcgov.us/Pages/Caldor-Fire-Recovery.aspx
STRUCTURE DAMAGE MAP: CALDOR FIRE STRUCTURE DAMAGE MAP
ROAD CLOSURES/EVACUATION INFORMATION/EVACUATION SHELTER AVAILABILITY:
EVACUAITON MAP: SEPTEMBER 22,2021
SAFETY INFORMATION: Returning Home After a Wildfire
EMERGENCY ALERT NOTIFICATION SYSTEMS:
El Dorado County Code Red:https://ready.edso.org/
Amador County CodeRED: www.amadorsheriff.org/administration-division/codered.
Alpine County Alert Center: https://alpinecountyca.gov/alertcenter.aspx
BURNED AREA EMERGENCY RESPONSE (BAER): A BEAR TEAM has been put into place for more information please visit Caldor Post-Fire BAER Information web site: inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7842/
KNOW WHERE YOU CAN FLY: Drones pose a serious risk to firefighting and can cause air operations to cease. When drones interfere with firefighting efforts, a wildfire has the potential to grow larger and cause more damage. A FAA Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is in effect and any private aircraft or drone that violates the TFR could face serious criminal charges. For more information on drones the public can visit the FAA’s website at www.KnowBeforeYouFly.org. “If you fly, we can’t!”
|Current as of|
|Date of Origin||Saturday August 14th, 2021 approx. 07:00 PM|
|Location||Two miles East of Omo Ranch, four miles South of Grizzly Flat|
|Incident Commander||USFS CIIMT12|
|Coordinates||38.586 latitude, -120.538 longitude|
|Percent of Perimeter Contained||76%|
|Estimated Containment Date||Monday September 27th, 2021 approx. 06:00 PM|
Timber (litter and understory)
Light logging slash
Brush (2 feet)
Lighter winds but from the east, so very dry air with low RH creating spotting and nuisance smokes interior visible from road corridors.
Actively suppress any fire near Buck Pasture. Continue firing operations along the dozerline as long as favorable conditions persist. 1 IHC & 1 Agency T3 strike team will be placed on night shift to continue firingand holding. (DIV Q)
Secure containment lines south of Lyons Lake. Utilize natural barriers as containment lines and provide for perimeter control. (DIV I/M)
Secure existing line and provide for tactical patrol within the HWY 50 corridor. (DIV G/T/W)
Identify and coordinate the removal of hazard trees throughout the divisions; especially along the 50 corridor, Mormon Emigrant Trail & Sierra @ Tahoe
Utilize water dropping aircraft and mobile retardant to support perimeter control efforts.
Engage in perimeter control efforts:
-from DP-65 to Margaret Dip (DIV Q)
-from DP-73 to HWY 88 (DIV R)
-north of Caples Lake to Scout Peak.
-near the communities of Wrights Lake and Echo Lake (DIV I/M)
Mop up to the extent necessary on the fires edge and within the perimeter where values at risk are present, utilizing natural barriers and secure any heat sources between DP-65 and Scout Peak (DIV Q) & west to Mormon Emigrant Trail (DIV R)
Perform tactical patrol within the fire area, respond to service calls, mitigate any isolated heat sources within the fire perimeter adjacent to the infrastructure where safe to engage.
Perform priority suppression repair work within Branch 1 & 3. Coordinate closely with CALFIRE, AEU and USFS REAFs to ensure work is efficiently managed, focusing efforts in Angora Meadow, Old Meyers Grade, Tahoe Mt. and Cold Creek. (BR III), and along Wright Slick Road; and along Peavine Ridge & Granite Springs Rd (BR I). Minimize any near-term environmental resource impacts as a result of fire suppression efforts.
|Projected Incident Activity|
Dry NE flow will keep fire moderately active through the night shift.
We lose the NE flow but relative humidity will again be very low, possibly leading to similar short range spotting and reburning. However, large fire growth is not anticipated due to decreased wind speed.
Potential for slight moderation if RH does not bottom out as much as previous days. Lighter winds will slow growth however draught conditions remain very concerning.
Watching for impacts from an approaching weather system that could pull stronger winds from the SW, with spread potential towards values at risk to the NE.
A trough of low pressure moving into the Pacific Northwest is bringing southwest winds 5 to 10 MPH with gusts to around 24 MPH. The RH values ranges form the upper teens to the mid 20 percent range.
The trough of low pressure will increase the winds across the area. Ridge top winds will be around 30 MPH from late morning into the afternoon. Lower elevations will see winds 20 to 25 MPH. Winds will increase through the night and into Sunday morning. Some ridges would see winds to 45 MPH late Saturday and Saturday night. RH values will increase above critical levels. However, the strong winds will make operations difficult and could cause fire weakened trees to fall. Light rain showers could arrive over the fire area before daybreak Sunday morning.