Skip to main content

Tamarack Fire

Unit Information

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
1200 Franklin Way
Sparks, NV 89431

USFS Shield

Incident Contacts

Erica Hupp, Public Affairs Staff Officer
Phone: 775-771-4777
Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Fire Information Line
Phone: 775-434-8629
Hours: Daily 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Media Information Line
Phone: 775-434-8110
Hours: Daily 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Highlighted Activity

08/25/2021 Tamarack Fire Daily Update Aug. 25, 2021
To answer the question as to why the Tamarack Fire is still only 82% contained, we’d like to explain the difference between containment and confinement. Containment is wildfire a suppression action.
News - 08/25/2021
Map of the Tamarack Fire Aug. 20, 2021Image options: [ Full Size ]

 Sierra Front Incident Management Team 1 will be transferring command to a local IC 4 at 0600 Monday, Aug. 23, 2021. 

Suppression repair and Hazardous Tree Mitigation to be wrapped up by the end of this weekend. A Wildland Fire Module will maintain confinement strategy in the in the Mokelumne Wilderness Area for the foreseeable future.

Basic Information

Current as of
Incident TypeWildfire
Date of OriginSunday July 04th, 2021 approx. 04:00 PM
Location16 Miles south of Gardnerville, NV
Incident CommanderScott Stephenson, IC Tom Raw, Deputy IC
Incident DescriptionThis incident continues to be managed with a full suppression strategy, however steep inaccessible terrain in Division Alpha necessitates a suppression strategy of confinement.
Coordinates38.628 latitude, -119.857 longitude

Current Situation

Total Personnel220
Size68,637 Acres
Percent of Perimeter Contained82%
Estimated Containment DateTuesday August 31st, 2021 approx. 12:00 AM
Fuels Involved

Timber (Grass and Understory)

Chaparral (6 feet)

Timber (Litter and Understory)

Significant Events





Planned Actions

Divs K & O - Keep fire south of China Spring and west of Highway 395. Keep fire south of Highway 88 and east of Blue Lake Road. Continue right sizing organization. Div K, O and Q in patrol status.

Divs A- Keep fire north of Highway 89 (Monitor pass) and Hwy 4. Continue right sizing organization.

Hazard tree mitigation in Markleeville and Pleasant Valley areas completed. Hazard mitigation on Hot Springs road and Indian Creek campground continues.

Projected Incident Activity

12 hours: Minimal fire behavior. Minimal risk of ember cast from Caldor Fire due to SW-W winds. Widespread haze and smoke. Temperatures 47-49. West to southwest winds 5-15 mph, gusts 20-25 mph. Relative humidity 49%.

24 hours: Minimal fire behavior. Widespread smoke and haze, sunny. Temperatures 73-83. Winds SW 5-15 mph, gusts 20-25 mph. Relative humidity 16% Haines 5.


Steep rugged terrain in Division Alpha necessitates a suppression strategy of confinement. Perimeter in Division Alpha represents 18% of the total fire perimeter. The remaining perimeter (82%) has been contained.

Current Weather

Weather Concerns

Dry conditions remain in place with more typical southwest afternoon breezes each day. No chances for rain. Warming trend. Smoke and haze may continue for rest of week.

Observed: Widespread haze and smoke in morning. Sunny. Temperatures 72-82. Relative humidity 18%. Winds upslope 3-7 mph becoming SW 9-15 mph. Gusts 20-25 mph in afternoon into the evening. Haines 4.

Forecast: Tonight widespread haze and smoke, clearing. Temps 47-49. Maximum humidity 49%. West to southwest winds 5-15 mph becoming downslope 3-6 mph after 2300. Gusts 20-25 mph. Tomorrow widespread haze and smoke. Sunny. Upslope winds 3-7 mph becoming SW 7-15 mph in afternoon. Gusts 20-25 mph are possible from 1500 to 2000.