Skip to main content

Tamarack Fire

Unit Information

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
1200 Franklin Way
Sparks, NV 89431

USFS Shield

Incident Contacts

Fire Information Line
Phone: 775-434-8629
Hours: Daily 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Media Information Line
Phone: 775-434-8110
Hours: Daily 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Highlighted Activity

08/02/2021 Tamarack Fire Daily Update Aug. 2, 2021
   Tamarack Fire Update  Monday, August 2, 2021 – 9:00 a.m.    Rocky Mountain Type 1 Incident Management Team   Dan Dallas, Incident Commander     ...
News - 08/02/2021
Map of Tamarack Fire Aug. 2, 2021Image options: [ Full Size ]

The Tamarack Fire started as a lightning strike in the Mokelumne Wilderness on a rocky ridgetop with sparse fuels and natural barriers to fire spread. Friday, July 16 high winds caused rapid downslope fire spread. With this change in the fire, resources were quickly dispatched to the site. Additional resources were ordered, including very Large Air Tankers (VLAT), Single Engine Airtankers (SEATS) and helicopters. 

The Type 2 Great Basin Incident Management Team #3 assumed command of the fire on Sunday, July 18 at 6 a.m. transitioning to the Rocky Mountain Type 1 Incident Management Team on Tuesday, July 20. Many Federal, State, and Local government agencies as well as organizations and businesses are cooperating to make progress on the fire.

This is a full suppression fire. Public and Firefighter safety is the number one priority. Minimizing impacts to local communities, private property and structures, natural resources, highway corridors, and recreation improvements are key considerations.  Our intent is to keep you fully informed on the fire’s activities and our suppression efforts as the incident progresses.

 The Rocky Mountain Type 1 Incident Management Team has produced an interactive map so the public can see the Tamarack Fire location in relation to their address.  Please click here Tamarack Fire 2021 Interactive Map or use this url

For the latest information on road closures, visit:   QuickMap ( and
Evacuation related information can be found by clicking on the Announcements section above or below.  

Additional information can be found from these sources:

Tamarack Fire Information Facebook:

Twitter: @Tamarack_Fire

Videos of the Daily Operational Briefings for the public and future community meetings will be posted on the Tamarack Wildfire Official Information YouTubewebsite at:

If using a cell phone to view this page, you can click on the words directly below to view those topics. 

Photos                     Maps                    News                   Closures                   Announcements                    Videos                    YouTube

Basic Information

Current as of
Incident TypeWildfire
Date of OriginSunday July 04th, 2021 approx. 04:00 PM
Location16 Miles south of Gardnerville, NV
Incident CommanderDan Dallas, IC Bill Hahnenberg, Deputy IC
Incident DescriptionThis Incident Continues To Be Managed With A Full Suppression Strategy, However Steep Inaccessible Terrain In Division Alpha Necessitates A Suppression Strategy Of Confinement.
Coordinates38.628 latitude, -119.857 longitude

Current Situation

Total Personnel344
Size68,696 Acres
Percent of Perimeter Contained82%
Estimated Containment DateTuesday August 31st, 2021 approx. 12:00 AM
Fuels Involved

Timber (Grass and Understory)

Chaparral (6 feet)

Timber (Litter and Understory)

Significant Events





Fire is burning in mixed conifer, Pinyon Juniper and brush fuel types, with creeping and smoldering.


Planned Actions

Branch I - Keep fire south of China Spring and west of Highway 395. Keep fire south of Highway 88 and east of Blue Lake Road. Continue right sizing organization.

Branch II - Keep fire north of Highway 89 (Monitor pass) and Hwy 4. Continue right sizing organization.

Structure - Secure structures in all Branches. Continue right sizing organization.

Projected Incident Activity

12 hours: Creeping fire with smoldering and limited potential spread.

24 hours: Creeping and smoldering fire with limited backing or flanking fire possible.


Acreage estimated from FireWatch flight on 7/29/2021 at 1322.

Steep rugged terrain in Division Alpha necessitates a suppression strategy of confinement. Perimeter in Division Alpha represents 18% of the total fire perimeter. The remaining perimeter (82%) has been fully contained.

Current Weather

Weather Concerns

Today's weather was partly cloudy. High Temp 76. Min RH 24%. Upslope winds 3-7 mph in the morning becoming SE 7 mph in the morning, increasing to SW to W 7-12 mph in the afternoon. HAINES 4, LAL 1 CWR 5%.

Tonight-Partly cloudy becoming clear. Min Temp 46-49. Max humidity around 60-65%. West to NW winds 7-12 mph G22.

Tuesday-Sunny. High Temps 77-79. Min RH 18-23%. Light upslope in the morning becoming SE to SW 8-13 mph G25. HAINES 5, LAL 1 CWR 0%.