Could not determine your location.
- Scott OwenEmail:email@example.comPhone:970-422-2671Hours:M-F 9-5
Plumtaw Fire Update, Friday May 27th
News - 05/27/2022
Plumtaw Fire Objectives:
- To utilize risk management to reduce risks to the public and to firefighters.
- To protect the Lost Valley of the San Juans subdivision and critical infrastructure, including the Fourmile Creek watershed, water intake, private lands, and additional infrastructure.
The Rocky Mountain Incident Management Team 2 will transfer command of the Plumtaw Fire to an interagency type 3 team on Saturday, May 28 at 6 am. In preparation for the Memorial Day weekend, recreationists are reminded of the trail and road closures near the fire area. For closure information, please see the link in the sidebar to the left.
- Containment increased again and is now at 77%, up 5% over yesterday. The entirety of the fire’s south side is now contained.
- The hotter, drier, windier weather increased fire behavior and exposed hot spots that had not previously surfaced. Crews continued mop up operations focusing on these areas and the uncontained sections of the fire.
- Data mapping from an additional thermal infrared detection and mapping data (NIROPS) flight conducted last night will be used by crews to identify and address any remaining or increased areas of heat.
- Rehabilitation of hand and dozer lines will continue again today as well as removal of hose lays that no longer needed
- Crews will focus on mop up operations on the northeast side of the fire where uncontained areas remain
Skies will be mostly sunny with scattered cloud cover in the afternoon. Wind gusts up to 35mph are expected and may increase into the weekend. A red flag warning is in place for Friday and Saturday.
Fire start date: May 17, 2022
Fire size today: 721 acres
Location: 7 miles north of Pagosa Springs, CO
Cause: With no recent lightning and no prescribed fire, the fire’s cause is under investigation.
Rocky Mountain Complex Incident Management Team 2
6 20-person crews
2 water tenders
San Juan National Forest Closure Information: