Area Closure Rio Grande National Forest July 3, 2013
Incident: West Fork Complex Wildfire
Order Number: RG-2013-11
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
RIO GRANDE NATIONAL FOREST
DIVIDE RANGER DISTRICT
West Fork Complex
Emergency Area Closure
Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50 (b), the following act is prohibited on the area, roads, and trails as described in this order, within the Divide Ranger District, Rio Grande National Forest until further notice:
1. Going into or being upon the fire area as described below and depicted on the attached map that is closed for the protection of public health or safety. 36 CFR 261.53(e)
2. Being on a trail described below that is posted as closed. 36 CFR 261.55(a)
Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this order:
1. Persons with a permit specifically exempting them from the effect of this Order.
2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.
3. Private landowners and Lessee’s of land in the area solely for the purpose of ingress and/or egress to their owned/leased property.
4. Residents in the area solely for the purpose of ingress and/or egress to their residence.
The area closure includes National Forest System lands on all or parts of the following areas:From Bonito Pass at the junction of FSR 390 at the Continental Divide, north along FSR390 to thejunction with US Hwy 160, northeast along US Hwy 160 to its junction with CO State Hwy 149,then onto CO State Hwy 149, across the Rio Grande River, up to the junction of CO State Hwy 149and County Road 15, then east along County Road 15 to its junction with FSR 610 (Alder Creek),then north along FSR 610 to the junction with the West Alder Trail number 798, then north to thejunction with FSR 600, then west along FSR 600 to its junction with CO State Hwy 149, thenwest on CO State Hwy 149 to the County Road 550 (Deep Creek Road), then west on County Road 550Road to CO State Hwy 149, then west on CO State Hwy 149 to west to the its junction with FSR 523,the closure boundary then follows the Rio Grande River to its junction with FSR 522, then north onFSR 522 to its junction with Co State Hwy 149, then north west on CO State Hwy 149 to Rio GrandeNational Forest Boundary, then west along the Forest Boundary to its junction with Pole Creek Trailnumber 787, then south to its junction with FSR 520, then south on FSR 520 to its junction with FSR 506,then south on FSR 506 to the Forest Boundary, then east following the boundary between the RioGrande NF and the San Juan NF to its junction with FSR 390 at Bonito Pass. The closure includesthe following legal townships and ranges: T37N, R2E, and R3E; T38N, R2E, R1E, R1W, and R2W;T39N, R3E, R2E, R1E, R1W, R2W, R3W, R4W, R5W, and R6W; T40N, R3E, R2E, R1E, R1W,R2W, R3W, R4W, R5W, and R6W; T41N, R3E, R2E, R1E, RlW, R2W, R3W, R4W, R5W, andR6W; T42N, R1W, R2W, R3W, R4W, R5W, and R6W; T43N, R1E, RlW, and R2W.
All roads and trails that are within this area closure are closed due to the West Fork Complex Fire. All roads and trails that make up the boundary of this area closure are open except for Pass Creek Road FSR 390.
EXCEPTIONS WITHIN THE CLOSURE AREA:
• Palisades Campground
• FSR 515 to Brown Lake for day use only
• FSR 513 to Rito Hondo Reservoir for day use only
• FSR 513.1A Continental Reservoir for day use only
The above-described areas are within the proclaimed and administrative boundaries of the Divide Ranger District, Rio Grande National Forest, Hinsdale, Mineral, and Rio Grande Counties, Colorado.
This closure is necessary to provide protection to forest visitors from the current fire safety hazards associated with the West Fork Complex.
1. This Order will be in effect when signed and shall remain in effect until further notice.
2. A map identifying the closure area is attached and made part of this Order.
3. Any violation of this prohibition is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000.00 for a individual or $10,000 for an organization, and/or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months. [Title 16 USC 551, Title 18 USC 3571 (b)(6), Title 18 USC 3581 (b)(7)].
4. This Order supersedes any previous orders prohibiting the same acts covered by this Order in the above-described area.
Done at Monte Vista, Colorado this3rd day of July, 2013.
Acting Forest Supervisor
Rio Grande National Forest
Order Number: RG-2013-11