InciWeb - Incident Information System

[Skip to content]

Tassajara Fire

INCIDENT UPDATED 7/21/2013

Approximate Location

36.243 latitude, -121.566 longitude

Incident Overview

Tassajara Fire Taken From Air Attack

Image options: [ Enlarge ] [ Full Size ]

The Tassajara Fire remains at 90% containment. It burned 213 acres since it started on Wednesday, July 17, 2013. The remaining 10% is in an inaccessible area.

Crews begin suppression repair, trash backhaul, patrol and mop-up today. Demobilization began today as well.

The fire will be transitioning to a Type 4 team tomorrow morning at 8am. 2 type II teams will remain with the fire along with 2 helicopters.

Firefighters from all over California have been helping the firefighting effort. Several national forests have provided help to local Los Padres National Forest fire personnel. They include: Klamath National Forest, Sequoia National Forest, Tahoe National Forest and Plumas National Forest. Other local agencies assisting in the suppression effort are Cachauga Fire Protection District, Mid-Coast Fire Brigade and Monterey County Sheriff’s.

No evacuations are in effect. Tassajara Ridge Road will reopen tomorrow.

For public safety, the following trails in the Ventana Wilderness, which are in proximity of the fire area, are not recommended for use at this time:

Marble Peak Trail (4E07) from trailhead at Arroyo Seco to the Junction with Black Cone Trail near Oak and Strawberry Camps.

Pine Ridge Trail (3E06) going west from China Camp to Big Sur and Big Sur to China Camp going east.

Carmel River Trail (3E037)from trailhead at Los Padres Dam to Hiding Camp.

Miller Canyon Trail (3E04) from trailhead at Los Padres to China Camp.

No evacuations are in effect. The Jamesburg-Tassajara Road is open only to residents.

Resources Assigned: Crews - 5, Engines - 3, Helicopters - 5, Dozers - 0, Water Tenders - 1, Total Personnel - 160


Basic Information

Current as of
Incident TypeWildfire
CauseUnder Investigation
Date of OriginWednesday July 17th, 2013 approx. 01:00 PM
Location4 miles west of Arroyo Seco
Incident CommanderJay Enns

Current Situation

Total Personnel160
Size213 Acres
Percent of Perimeter Contained90%
Estimated Containment DateTuesday July 23rd, 2013 approx. 08:00 PM
Fuels Involved

Heavy brush, Santa Lucia fir, madron, oaks and grass

Significant Events

Demobilization begin today. Crews begin suppression repair,trash backhaul, patrol and mop-up. Tassajara Ridge Road will reopen to the public tomorrow.

Outlook

Planned Actions

Transfer of command to a Type 4 team will take place tomorrow at 8am.

Projected Incident Activity

Medium

Remarks

Two Type II handcrews will remain with the Type 4 team, along with 2 helicopters. Limited access and terrain continues to hamper full containment. The remaining 10% is in an inaccesible area.

Unit Information

USFS Shield
Los Padres National Forest
U.S. Forest Service
6755 Hollister Avenue
Suite 150
Goleta, CA 93117

Incident Contacts

Paula Martinez
Phone: 831-385-5434
Hours: Monday to Sunday 6am-10pm

Follow this Incident

Share This

National Wildfire Coordinating Group U.S. Forest Service Bureau of Land Managemen Bureau of Indian Affairs Fish and Wildlife Service National Park Service National Association of State Foresters U.S. Fire Administration
Content posted to this website is for information purposes only.
version: 2.4      load time: 0.0026 sec.